VIC Can Builder Demand I Take 50% Off My Invoice?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

davidcorstorphan

24 January 2015
Does a builder have the right under commercial law to tell me to take 50% of my invoice after I have done the job (shower screen) or take the glass back?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Maybe. Did he complain about the quality of the job? or the materials used (eg wrong type of glasss)?

Did you quote the job before invoicing?

S

Sophea

In the absence of anything relating to the quality of the work or something that was done incorrectly, I would say no. If he didn't obtain a quote from you before you commenced work then one might assume he was prepared to pay standard industry rates (which I assume your invoice reflects).

Thing is, if you don't he probably won't pay you anything and I doubt the amount of money he is docking is sufficient to justify pursuing legal action to recover it. Also, you may not get anymore work with this guy in the future. I don't know whether that's what you want though in any event.

If he was to remove the glass and tell you to take it back, this would not absolve him of the obligation to pay you. You have been contracted for services, which you performed and you are entitled to be paid.

Reactions: DennisD