VIC Buying a used motorbike via private sale

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Juddy

22 June 2020
Hey guys and gals,
Just want to know my rights.
I have contacted someone from bikesales.com.au and agreed upon a price with them for sale of the bike, including roadworthy (in writing via sms), then paid a deposit for them to get the roadworthy done.
They have then got a call from the company doing the roadworthy and found out that they roadworthy is going to cost a lot more than they thought it would.
They have then asked for more money for the sale.
Despite the fact that this is not right or my fault, do I have any rights?
He has offered me the deposit back, however I would like the bike at the price agreed.
Any advice would be great.
Thanks

Atticus

6 February 2019
Any advice would be great.
If this is just a private arrangement, ie, bikesales.com are not somehow a party to the arrangement, then ATM you both have right of refusal... seller has offered return of deposit, good.

If you are still keen on the bike you will either have to accept that the expected cost of roadworthy is higher & pay it, find & propose an alternative, buy as is or let the bike go..

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
They have then got a call from the company doing the roadworthy and found out that they roadworthy is going to cost a lot more than they thought it would.
You mean the repairs to get the Roadworthy?