vehicle roadworthy fraud

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rod1979

31 March 2020
Good morning ,

I recently purchased a 2005 for territory from Greys online auction with reg and roadworthy - Cost $4800

when driving home the car stated pulling left and steering shook violently -

I took the car to my mechanic to have an independent safety check roadworthy done.

It failed the roadworthy test on 14 serious items - the reason for the shaking was that they had left the tie rod end loose - I could have been killed .

The car needs $2800 worth of repairs - it was meant to be roadworthy

I have contacted Vicroads who said they needed more information -

I gave them copies of both roadworthys and all the receipts and the quote to repair - but have not heard anything back

I finally after 3 weeks and having to send a registered letter got a reply from the mechanic who wrote the fraudulent roadworthy

- he said bring it back and I will fix it .

My issue is

(a) I live 4 hours away from that mechanic - that would require my wife and I to take 2 days off work to drop off and pick up - 16 hours driving -- or a tow truck fee of $2200 .

( b) I dont particularly want to give my car back to that mechanic , he has proved his incompetence already and could have cost me my life .

I would like my car fixed but I dont feel that I am compelled to offer up my property to someone who I have no confidence in ,
What are my option ?

Can I take the car to my mechanic to be repaired and demand the mechanic who wrote the fraudulent roadworthy pay the bill ?

( The fraudulent roadworthy is a clean slate - not even 1 fault mentioned anywhere )

any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated .

kindest regards

Rod

JazKaz

11 April 2020
Hi Rod,
I am not expert on cars or online auctions but I will try to help.
Greys online auction with reg and roadworthy - Cost $4800
As you purchased the car through an online auction, you may want to check out Grey’s terms of agreement for details about contracts and the rights and obligations of users of this online auction. I’m not sure about Greys, however, eBay has set terms of purchase that the offerer and offered are bound by because eBay acts as a third party to the matter. I believe full information about the product would be sent through to them to guarantee offerees.

As for the actual mechanic, if they lied to you about the condition of the vehicle then you are entitled to compensation. Lying is an offence under the misleading advertising section of the Competition and Consumer Act 2010.