NSW Buildings Impeding Access to Repair Pipes in Stormwater Drainage Easement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
28 September 2018
I am having similar problems with a new housing estate behind my property in North Richmond NSW. The land behind our property was a dairy farm, we had no runoff or seepage. Some engineer in their hour of wisdom decided that a road could be built much higher than the existing land. The land was then subdivided and sloped from the road to our fence line. The lie of the land has been altered so much that the runoff in heavy rain is ridiculous.

Hawkesbury Council will not answer my emails. A phone call to council says it is not their problem. They approved the plans for the subdivision and the inter-allotment easement yet they wash their hands of it. I sent a letter to the owner of the property where the easements sits offering to pay half of the cost of CCTV footage, he had the cheek to ask me to pay the full cost.

From what I read on the council website the properties below the easement have to give a letter of permission for the drainage system to go ahead but we in our street were not consulted. I asked a number of people for CCTV footage which I think would have to be provided before the job was signed off but no one wants to provide such footage. Perhaps it was signed off without inspection. Who knows.

Does anyone know who would have to sign off on these things? I'm thinking it may be a private engineer. Hopefully we can help each other.