VIC Brother Punched by Mum's Boyfriend - Who to Call Besides Police?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rebecca9199

5 December 2016
3 days ago my mother's boyfriend of 6 months was very drunk with my mum and the boyfriend punched my 14-year-old brother in the face. We have told the police and they aren't doing much about it.

Should I call anyone else about this situation? My little brother is safe with me now but I'm not sure how to go about this.

Thank you for your time, I'd appreciate your help!

sammy01

27 September 2015
What is your mum doing about it? Where is your dad? Where is the child living. The cops are pretty useless, but if you pursue it, you could get an AVO against the bloke.

Gorodetsky

21 February 2016
Hi Rebecca9199,
Sammy01's opinion is good...but if the cops did nothing about the assault, and you go to the effort of getting an AVO...if he breaches the AVO, do you reckon the cops will do anything?

To get the cops to do their job, you need to make some noise. Try to speak to a domestic violence officer. Make a formal complaint that constable so-and-so failed to investigate or act on the assault. Speak to a TV reporter or two...let the cops know you are in touch with the media. The cops are scared of being seen to condone domestic violence.

If you let the cops do nothing, they will do nothing. If you accept nothing can be done, nothing will change.

Having said that...the cops are pretty hopeless...maybe you need to do something yourself. Phone a DV helpline. Get yourself out of there...don't rely on some cop to keep you safe.

I hope this helps

Regards

SamanthaJay

4 July 2016
Apart from being domestic violence, it's assault. Firstly, I would go back to the police, take your brother with you and ask what is being done. Continue to chase them up.

Here is a domestic violence line:

Safe Steps - 24/7 FV Response

Child Protection Crisis Line - 24/7

Your brother is lucky he has you on his side. If the boyfriend is doing that to your brother then it's a sure bet he is also doing it, or it won't be long before he is doing it to your mother.

Reactions: Gorodetsky

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
1. Follow up with the police again.
2. AVO
3. Department of Human Services

Rebecca9199

5 December 2016
Hi Rebecca9199,
Sammy01's opinion is good...but if the cops did nothing about the assault, and you go to the effort of getting an AVO...if he breaches the AVO, do you reckon the cops will do anything?

To get the cops to do their job, you need to make some noise. Try to speak to a domestic violence officer. Make a formal complaint that constable so-and-so failed to investigate or act on the assault. Speak to a TV reporter or two...let the cops know you are in touch with the media. The cops are scared of being seen to condone domestic violence.

If you let the cops do nothing, they will do nothing. If you accept nothing can be done, nothing will change.

Having said that...the cops are pretty hopeless...maybe you need to do something yourself. Phone a DV helpline. Get yourself out of there...don't rely on some cop to keep you safe.

I hope this helps

Regards
Thank you!