Behind in Rent - Can Landlord Kick Me Out?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Charmaine

2 July 2014
I rent a house from a private landlord, sign all the papers and 2 weeks down the track he puts in to Real Estate Agents. Now because of that, I'm behind in rent and they said I'm in breach of contract and I have to get out, cause I didn't sign up with them can they kick me out like that? Don't I have tenants rights?

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
Hi Charmaine,
Which state or territory are you located in?
What kind of papers did you sign? What was the series of events? What is the situation now - did they engage a real estate agent and want you to sign a new contract with that real estate agent? (I couldn't quite understand from your brief post.)

Charmaine

2 July 2014
Live in Perth, rental tenancy agreement papers with the landlord , behind in rent , got a letter from real estate , notice of termination of tenancy and dated for 3 July, the real estate didn't send me a contract to sign with them, they say the termination is not negotiable and if not vacated by the date they will apply to the magistrates court to have me evicted

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia
So are you able to pay? If so, can you just make the payment as you normally would and then you're up-to-date with payments?

Have a look at the WA Department of Commerce "Missed and overdue rent" page and Tenant's Guide for Renting a home in Western Australia for some more information. If you believe that the agent is acting unfairly or has mislead you, then you may wish to lodge a complaint against them ('contact the Department's Advice Line on 1300 30 40 54 for advice, or to lodge a written complaint').

Reactions: Tim W