NSW Bankruptcy Court Hearing - What are My Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brendon

28 May 2015
Hi All, I have been negotiating for a lengthy period of time with a creditor whom I am in debt to, I have made numerous attempts to settle the debt and enter into payment arrangements. The creditor really has a bee in his bonnet and is hell bent on bankrupting me. I have an upcoming court date in which I have already adjourned. And it's with the bankruptcy court.

What are my options in the court hearing? Bankruptcy isn't an option for me.

Amanda E

9 April 2014
This Legal Aid NSW brochure is helpful as it also visually sets out your options: Squeezed over debt? - Legal Aid NSW. And you can also contact AFSA (the Australian Financial Security Authority) Bankruptcy — Australian Financial Security Authority and Your options — Australian Financial Security Authority - for general information.

Also have a read of Bankruptcy - What Does It Mean For You? - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au - I'm not sure what stage you're now up to, but make sure you document (write down) all the things you've done to settle the debt and the creditor's responses. Remember that this goes towards your case that you can show the court.

Please keep us updated.