Bank Refused to Give Copy of Document - Legal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DadyO

9 July 2014
Hi

I recently opened a savings bank account on line with Westpac and as usual I had to attend a branch to register my signature. The person doing the paperwork seemed very confused as to the process and was in and out of the room a lot. After an hour of mucking about he said we were done.

I was not confident of what had been done so I asked for a copy of the document I had signed. He went off and after a while told us that he had copied the document but couldn't give it to me as it contained customer information. He said all he could give me was a welcome letter.

Obviously I questioned that this could be correct that I could not have a copy of what I had just signed.

In short is this legal?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Make an appointment to speak to the branch manager
and get it sorted out.
You may find that everything is fine and that the employee is simply new and not well trained.

DadyO

9 July 2014
Thanks Tim

Everything seems to be OK. I was just thinking that I should be able to have a copy of the document I sighed.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Thanks Tim

Everything seems to be OK. I was just thinking that I should be able to have a copy of the document I sighed.
If there is no personal information in it
other than what you have supplied the bank,
or that the bank has generated about you
in the course of having you as a customer,
then they can hardly be a privacy issue.

I suspect a dopey teller.