VIC Autopsy and Inquest - Legal Aid Victoria?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

laura86

6 July 2014
My brother was found dead in the flat and the Victoria Police believed it was an overdose. Autopsy was ordered and the cause of death came back unknown. My question is how can I get an inquest to happen and will Legal Aid Victoria help?

I believe the police did not investigate my brother's death properly because of his addictions and the area in which he died. He passed away 4 years ago this November and only now I have found the strength to try and find some kind of answer as there are many stories of foul play surrounding his death. Thanks.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi @laura86,
Which state/territory was your brother located in?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Where is the body now?

laura86

6 July 2014
I believe there may have been foul play and unfortunately the police where not very helpful as they were sure it was a closed case drug overdose and no need to question anyone about the circumstances surrounded or leading to he's death. After the toxicology report came back and showed he did not overdose a police officer told me he probably died of a collapsed vein and were not interested in anything I had to say.

laura86

6 July 2014
yes I did at the time but im not sure if I worded it correctly at the time as I found it all quiet stressful so my request was rejected

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Have you contacted the Coroners Court of Victoria on 1300 309 519?

laura86

6 July 2014
yes I did send emails to the coroner requesting an inquest but at the time it was rejected and I did not follow through with it any further
is it possibly to have the case reopened and request for an inquest or have I left it too late