SA Australian supply & minimum pricing

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozzy1

16 September 2020
Do we have legislation requiring all resources/products produced in Australia to be supplied firstly to the Australian market at the minimum price sold elsewhere?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No.

A bit of background may get you a more detailed commentary

Last edited:

Ozzy1

16 September 2020
I am not sure, but I heard that some countries have legislation which requires any resource or product of the country must be available and supplied first to those in the country and at the minimum price sold for export (taking into account volume, contract conditions etc.)
Sounds like a good idea to me. Does anyone know of anything like this?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Do we have legislation requiring all resources/products produced in Australia to be supplied firstly to the Australian market at the minimum price sold elsewhere?
No ...

Here in the land of OZ, (when it comes to a resource such as LNG) we like to partly (or wholly) build the necessary infrastructure at tax payers cost, then subsidize the multinational company extracting the stuff with huge tax breaks, then sell as much as possible to overseas buyers for a pittance, then charge your average Australian consumer a bomb for the little that is not already contracted for sale .... Oh, & when they are finished, we get to decontaminate the wasteland that's left.. again at tax payers expense

One could almost be mistaken for thinking the big business interests had a hand in writing the rules & influencing govt policy at Australian citizens expense.... The land of OZ... What a hoot!

Ozzy1

16 September 2020
I hear what you are saying. Do you know of any other countries that have this type of legislation? If it does exist I'd like to look into it.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Here's a bit of an expose on among other things, the rotating staff of the Australian minerals council & the LNP

Short, & well worth a look.... May help to explain why Australia has no legislation such as you mention