WA Australian Law on Home Chemistry Labs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Lawrence

20 August 2015
Hello all! First time on the forums here, just wondering if you guys could help out.

I am currently in my second year of a chemistry degree and would like to supplement my course with a home lab. The applications and possibilities are near limitless, but Australian law, from what I've seen, seems... vague on the matter.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could make the "do's and don'ts" or guidelines or whatever a little clearer.

Thanks for your time!

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi Lawrence,

This is a really good question! There is not a lot of information out there at all.

My understanding is that pending which chemicals you want to use, a home lab for scientific purposes should be within the law.

However to find out the exact dos and don'ts and prevent an unexpected visit from the police perhaps getting in contact with a local science institute or government agency. Perhaps a legal aid centre or a lawyer may also be able to provide you with more information.