NT Australian Consumer Law - Lawful to Sell Broken Vehicle?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tommmm

4 January 2018
Hi

I've bought a motorbike. I've been stupid and I've rushed. When I had more time, I've found out the bike is leaking a lot of coolant and has problems.

Before buying it, I've asked the seller if it was all good and he said the bike was perfect. I have screenshots of the conversation. Is it lawful to sell a vehicle knowing that has some problems lying to the buyer under Australian Consumer Law?

That's a big problem and it is not something that you can not know before selling. Plus he wrote on the sale paper that he gave it to me for 20$ when it was 1450$ but I didn't sign anything he just gave it to me and left...

Have I lost my money or is there anything I can do?

I don't know if I've been clear enough and ask for more details if you need, thank you.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You didn't ask for a warranty and one wasn't provided in writing.... True....

When you buy second hand you have very limited protection under consumer law.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Did the motorbike have current registration? If so, what requirements are there to provide a certificate of roadworthiness (or similar) in the NT? I'm no mechanic, but I would assume the issues you've stated would could it to fai

Also, a coolant leak is generally visible on inspection. One aspect is to say you should have picked it up. Another aspect is that the seller would more than likely have been aware of it, and possibly taken steps to hide it.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Did you transfer the rego into your name accepting the vehicle value of $20:00? I know sometimes the motor registry will not accept a low value and force you to accept an average market value, but given the problems with the vehicle, perhaps $20:00 is about rite!