VIC Australian Consumer Law - Is Dentist Cancellation Fee Too Excessive?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Edward John

30 June 2016
Recently got my appointment time wrong with a dentist. I thought it was 10 am, not 9 am. Is a 18-dollar cancellation fee excessive as a penalty under Australian Consumer Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No. Seems quite reasonable, even more so for a dentist.

S

Sophea

Whose fault was it that you got the appointment time wrong?

@thelawbundle

27 October 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Hi Ed,

The first question I would be asking (prior to considering whether this was a contractual penalty) is whether you were contractually bound to pay the $18 at all.

Were you given notice that this fee would be payable before you missed your appointment? If not, then I would be telling your dentist that you are not bound to pay that amount.

If you were given notice that this fee was payable, then I agree with both Sophea's and Rod's comments above. That is, if missing the appointment was your fault, $18 does seem to be reasonable (and not a penalty) on the face of it.

However, I would suggest that if you turned up at 10am and still paid for your appointment (albeit a later appointment) and the dentist did not have to turn any customers away (or serviced another customer in your 9am slot) then you would not be liable to pay the $18 fee.

Generally, an amount will only be a "penalty" in this circumstance if it is not a "genuine pre-estimate" of the dentist's loss or is "unconscionable / extravagant" in the circumstances.