LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Australian Consumer Law - Is Dentist Cancellation Fee Too Excessive?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by Edward John, 30 June 2016.

1. Edward John

Edward John Member

Recently got my appointment time wrong with a dentist. I thought it was 10 am, not 9 am. Is a 18-dollar cancellation fee excessive as a penalty under Australian Consumer Law?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

No. Seems quite reasonable, even more so for a dentist.

3. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Whose fault was it that you got the appointment time wrong?

4. @thelawbundle

@thelawbundle Well-Known Member

Hi Ed,

The first question I would be asking (prior to considering whether this was a contractual penalty) is whether you were contractually bound to pay the $18 at all.

Were you given notice that this fee would be payable before you missed your appointment? If not, then I would be telling your dentist that you are not bound to pay that amount.

If you were given notice that this fee was payable, then I agree with both Sophea's and Rod's comments above. That is, if missing the appointment was your fault, $18 does seem to be reasonable (and not a penalty) on the face of it.

However, I would suggest that if you turned up at 10am and still paid for your appointment (albeit a later appointment) and the dentist did not have to turn any customers away (or serviced another customer in your 9am slot) then you would not be liable to pay the $18 fee.

Generally, an amount will only be a "penalty" in this circumstance if it is not a "genuine pre-estimate" of the dentist's loss or is "unconscionable / extravagant" in the circumstances.