WA Australian Consumer Law - Didn't Know Car was a Write-off?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

gman84

7 January 2017
Hi,

I purchased a car from a dealer 3 years ago, and only found out that the car has been a repairable write-off when I did a revs check to prove there was no finance on it when trying to sell it.

I was wondering was it to late to do anything about it now under Australian Consumer Law? it just frustrates me knowing. I paid a lot more than it was worth.

Thanks, guys.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

I'm not sure if there is a time limit to raise an consumer law case. If you have suffered or are likely to suffer a significant price differential you may still have grounds to seek the difference from the dealer. That said, it could be argued a significant time has passed and you had a chance to check revs when you were buying the car, but it sounds like they should have disclosed this information as well.

I would contact the WA department of commerce to see if you have grounds to lodge a complaint and its not too long. Their details are: WA: Department of Commerce – Consumer Protection WA (www.commerce.wa.gov.au/ConsumerProtection).

This blog might give you some additional information: https://www.lawanswers.com.au/blog/...tralian-consumer-law-guarantees-are-breached/

Reactions: gman84