NSW Australian Consumer Law - Changes in Golf Club Membership Benefits?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alun Roberts

24 October 2016
In June 2016, I signed up for a particular grade of membership at my golf club (to June 30th 2017), which had a specific set of member benefits documented for this category at that time. Today, the Board has just confirmed a change in booking rights for a particular day of the week, which disadvantages all 200+ players of my category by permitting '7 day' members an additional 24 hour advance booking arrangement for this day. This has been done without consultation with my membership category.

In my view, this changes and devalues the membership benefits I purchased in June. I accept that the Board may vary membership benefits, but am upset that this is being done mid-year and changes the 'deal' I purchased from the club.

What recourse and rights, if any, am I likely to have under Australian Consumer Law to challenge this decision?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Go to NCAT seeking enforcement of your membership contract. If it cannot be enforced for some undisclosed reason then you can ask for the return of your membership money.