- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Australian Consumer Law - Discrimination in Golf Club Membership Fees?

Discussion in 'Australian Consumer Law Forum' started by john croxson, 6 January 2016.

Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
Find a Lawyer Form
  1. john croxson

john croxson Active Member

23 November 2015
    My golf club has sent out membership renewal. This year, it's $660, but if you are under 35 years of age it is $330. Is this or does this act to discriminate against those over the age of 35 under Australian Consumer Law?
  2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

16 April 2014

I don't know of anything under the ACL which would prevent this but it may be contrary to state or federal anti-discrimination legislation. Age discrimination is against the law, and occurs when there is a policy that disadvantages people in one age group rather than another – unless they can show that the policy is ‘reasonable in all the circumstances’.

I would approach the golf course and bring it to their attention that they may be in breach of anti-discrimination legislation, and see what they say. If you can't resolve the matter, you can then lodge a compliant with the NSW anti-discrimination board.
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer

28 April 2014
    It's a marketing device. Mirror reverse of a "pensioner discount"