SA Item Under Incorrect Price at Bunnings - Entitled to Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BrandonW

28 September 2016
Hi All,

I have purchased a role of data cable from Bunnings, which was stocked on their shelves under the wrong item and subsequently a lower price.

Essentially on the shelf label they had CAT5E cable for $107.50, however, they had all their stock of CAT6 cable under this label. (I later discovered they didn't have any CAT5E cable nor a price tag on a shelf for CAT6).

When scanning at the checkout, it came through at $238 but I didn't notice as I had multiple items. The cable I purchased can perform the same purpose but I'm not sure if I should return the item for the full price or am I entitled to a refund of the difference and keep the item under Australian Consumer Law?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The ACL was not created to give consumers a windfall. It was created to ensure consumers had an equal footing with businesses and were not disadvantaged.

Your remedy under the ACL would be to return the item and seek a full refund. Bunnings store policy may be more generous and might let you have the item for the shelf price, but they do not need to.

The boxes I have seen are generally well labelled and would have shown the cable as CAT6.

BrandonW

28 September 2016
Hi Rod,

Thanks for getting back to me. By no means was I trying to rip off the store. I think my wording confused my intent.

I purchased it knowing it was CAT6 cable thinking the price was 107 when I went back and read the label on the shelf the next day I realised what had happened.

As you know at Bunnings the price is in much bigger text and that's where the item was stocked. Obviously me being careless and not reading the whole thing is where it went wrong. But the store manager agreed it was a bit misleading and they have sorted me out.

Cheers