Asbestos in Our Office - Legal Claim if Exposed?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

melissa

23 April 2014
Hello Forum members,
I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to how I proceed in my legal rights with possible asbestos in our office building. I work in an office highrise in Sydney on the 14th floor and even though they have fixed up the office set up before, it just seems that one or two of us are starting to cough. I am convinced its not the flu and how would we know what is in the air in the office. What should we do to find out if we have been exposed to asbestos, then how do we manage a legal personal injury claim?

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au

melissa

23 April 2014
Thanks Winston, I will try to find out. Does anyone else have any idea of the symptoms of asbestos. Thankyou forum members

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Melissa,
It may be premature to make a legal claim without a check up from your GP/doctor in relation to the cough (given it is flu season after all).
Your GP/doctor should also be able to assist in performing/organising required tests to diagnose your cough.
In relation to asbestos-related illness, the Australian Asbestos Network provides information on medical diagnosis and tests. All the best.

Sara

21 April 2014
Melissa,
+1 to John R post.

First thing you need to do is to go to your GP/doctor for check up to exclude it.

And several factors are involved in how asbestos exposure affects an individual. These include:
  1. How much asbestos a person was exposed to
  2. How long the person was exposed
  3. The size, shape and chemical makeup of the asbestos fibers
  4. The presence of other lung diseases
  5. Smoking also increases the risk of problems related to asbestos exposure.
The respiratory tract is the most common site of asbestos exposure symptoms. Symptoms differ depending on the particular problem.
The main symptom of asbestosis is shortness of breath. Other symptoms may include:
  1. Persistent cough that produces mucus
  2. Chest pain
  3. Loss of appetite
  4. Dry, crackling sound in lungs while inhaling