VIC Are Parking Fines from Dodgy Parking Officer Legitimate?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Breenjames88

4 July 2016
Quick black and white question:

If a parking inspector was to accept a bribe to turn a blind eye, would parking fines from that date on be classed as legitimate in court?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Law is not black and white. Depends on circumstances and detail that is missing from your post. At face value, someone who accepts bribes to not issue parking fines doesn't necessarily invalidate parking fines that are issued. Might be different if the inspector was bribed to issue parking tickets.

Breenjames88

4 July 2016
Thanks for your reply Rod and yes, I am realising that.

The inspector simply has taken payment to not fine cars in a one hr zone outside our jobsite or mark the tyers for that matter. All other cars have been marked and then fined. (Photos and written confirmation from many others) I find it hard to understand why the fines of a person in a position of power who has personally gained from this deal to not implementthe rules of the signs would still be seen as legitimate.

It was common knowledge that this bribe had taken place throughout site as spoken openly by the people involved, I just can't morally pay for fines given in such a way. Although I might have to at the end of the day there must still be grounds to persue this matter as for me this is about the principle not about the money.

I pay my way and have paid for many mistakes in the past, even the first fine I received off him I paid, until I found this out directly by the person who payed him off, I just have a massive problem paying for a fine given by a corrupt official.