VIC Anyway to Protect Father's Property from Divorce?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sam_jane

2 December 2016
Hello,

My father has recently placed a deposit on an apartment which is in his name. My sister and I will be living there and paying rent next year. The rent money that my sister and I will be paying is going to be used to pay of the mortgage of the property.

My father is in a rocky marriage at the moment and I fear that if a divorce should take place, his wife will be entitled to this property that my sister and I are paying for.

I am unsure how to move forward in this situation. I would like to know if there is a way to ensure that in the case of a divorce my sister and I are protected from property settlement issues.

Kind regards,

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Transfer the property to your names or go tenants in common. If the sale allows it (purchaser name area says... or nominee) or Vendor agrees to changes, it may be done before finalisation.

Reactions: Victoria S

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Agreed! Get the property put in yours and your sister's names and just do up a loan agreement with your father. Don't put it in his name if he is going to be exiting a relationship soon.