NSW Any Way to Shorten Drivers Licence Suspension Period?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Troy gibbs

29 December 2016
Hello

I'm an honest young adult. I lost my drivers licence yesterday (28/12/16) for speeding 30km over the limit on a 100km limit road in the country. I was driving home from an offsite work. It was late and I wanted to get home.

I was given a payable fine and was told my drivers licence has been suspended till 29 March 2017. I really need a drivers licence for work as I do lots of offsite work. Loss of my drivers licence will very likely result in loss of my job.

I'm a 2nd year light metal fabricater apprentice going on to 3rd year.

Is there any way I could shorten the suspension period?

I was told by the officer that pulled me up that I could apply for a 1 point drivers licence to use for work. Is this true? How do I go about getting it?

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Troy gibbs

29 December 2016
Yeah but that is only for unrestricted licence holders. I'm on my green p's. Officer clearly didn't know what he was talking about.

Just found out I might have lost my license for 6 months, apparently 30km over limit is automatically 3 months suspension and it was double demerits. 4 demerits for speeding.

How does the demerit point system work? Could I lose demerit points over time?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Troy,

I'm in WA but I believe there are different thresholds in NSW. A provisional P1 you can only accumulate a maximum of 4 points before you loose your licence and P2 its 7 points.

So you start with zero and each offence will give you a certain number of demerit points. Unfortunately the points don't appear to clear for 3 years and there is no right of appeal for suspension based on demerit points. So your demerit points will drop off after three years from the date of each offence.

Troy gibbs

29 December 2016
Ok, thanks for your help. It's amazing how easy it is to lose your licence. I really think penalties need to be softened for provisional drivers.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
...I really think penalties need to be softened for provisional drivers.
No, young blokes on Provisional Licences need to have a little more regard for the Road Rules, and need to learn a few lessons.