NSW Annul Bankruptcy from 2004

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Sydney2000

27 June 2018
Dear Forum: I’m seeking some legal advice. I have a series of 5 questions that I would like to get a qualified opinion on and will pay for the legal advice.

I filed for bankruptcy in 2004. I was very young, had a car accident and unwell. It still haunts me to this day that I’m a “discharged bankrupt” and I want to fix this the best I can.

Out of the blue I phoned ASFA who advised I can annul my bankruptcy even now. I’m currently in the process doing this.

If I am able to annul the bankruptcy I understand it’s essentially “cancelled” as if it never happened. Does that mean if I am ever asked if I have been bankrupt (such as a background check foand employment) I can say no? I’m unsure. I have always said yes to this question if ever asked.

If I could please get some support and contacts for how this may work including fit and proper with ASIC, getting PI insurance, directorships etc. and what I would be able to say post annulment.

Thanks!