QLD Am I Liable for Defamation for Messaging Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

varo8927

30 October 2016
A radio host posted some comments on a public post (of a news channel) which I deemed to be bigoted. I took snippets (screenshots) of those and posted them to his employer, which is the radio show, questioning their values. The radio show responded back saying that these are not their views and that they will "sort it out and take necessary action".

A few minutes later, they updated me saying that the person in question has deleted his comments. I told them I am not convinced with their actions and will be giving these screenshots to other news channels, although I did not, because I knew what's the point.

Now less than 24 hours later, the guy has messaged me on Facebook, saying that he will be pursuing a case of defamation against me as he believes these are "threats and attacks on his persona".

Does he have a case? Am I liable for defamation? I live in NSW, btw, but the person threatening to defame me is from QLD and so are his employers.

Lance

31 October 2015
Uniform defamation laws were enacted in 2006 so the state isn't necessarily relevant. For him to sue for defamation you would need to publish the information (you didn't), It would need to identify him and it would have to be defamatory.

I would argue if it was his statement he has defamed himself, but regardless you have not published defamatory material. You need to decide what you want to do and while a threat of defamation is a common tactic to silence criticism it doesn't mean the person wont pursue a defamation case regardless of the likelihood of success.

Reactions: varo8927

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You get to claim costs if he takes you to court and he loses.

Defamation may exist depending on what you said to his employer though it is likely however you have a good defence of honest opinion.

Reactions: varo8927

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Civil.