VIC Defamation of Character by Partner's Ex - Help?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Scott2808

18 November 2019
My partner's ex-husband of over 10 years, who I met in person on the weekend for the first time, caused a scene at his children's cricket club by telling me not to put my hands on his children.

My partner and I have been together for 6 months and I have an excellent relationship with her 3 sons 16, 14 and 12. Later that night, he sent a message to my partner claiming that I am a pervert and that I have been touching the boys inappropriately. He went on to continue to say those things and sent me messages saying that he has messed with the wrong man and if I had a problem with it and wanted to take a swing then he would meet me anytime anywhere.

Then this afternoon 18/11/2019 he sent a Facebook message to his eldest soon claiming that I am grooming him and his brother for sex and that I am a sexual predator.

What course of action should I take and what legal rights do I have after this defamation? Thank you for your help.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If serious, go see a lawyer and have a defamation concerns notice sent asap.

Should only be 1-2 hrs work for a lawyer to prepare the letter.

Which State are you in? If in Vic, this is something I do.

Reactions: Scott2808

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Don't bother with defamation.

This looks more like "Use Carriage Service To Threaten/Harrass".
Oh, and if Vic, think about an IVO.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'd keep away from police in case they decide to investigate the claims being made, and you don't want DHHS involved and children removed from your care.

Reactions: Ubiquitous