WA Age of consent cybersex

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GT69

1 July 2021
Hi
I have been chatting to a person online who says they are a 17 yr old girl from Scotland. I am over 40. Is it legal to chat about sex or exchange pics of a sexual nature. Am I required to confirm her age under the law
Thanks
GT

tigerman2705

22 April 2021
Warning bells here. I wouldn’t risk it, and mate you’re over 40, going down that path with 17 year olds? Think it through.

GT69

1 July 2021
Warning bells here. I wouldn’t risk it, and mate you’re over 40, going down that path with 17 year olds? Think it through.
I hear you.
Am I required to confirm a person's age before engaging in any sexual conversation online. For example a female lies about her age and she says she is 20 but is really only 15. If I took her at her word and she went to the cops and says we were talking about sex could I face prosecution because I failed to confirm her age?
Thanks

sammy01

27 September 2015
problem 1 - she 'confirms' her age... What legal requirement do you would be necessary? A letter from mum? How do you know the documentation is real
Problem 2 - Once photos are sent they can't be unsent.
PROBLEM - You might be sweet in Aussie law. MAYBE. But I have no idea about Scotish law.
Problem - she is 17 you are 40. Sorry, gonna moralise here (a little). THis is just a bad idea.
Mate RUN

GT69

1 July 2021
problem 1 - she 'confirms' her age... What legal requirement do you would be necessary? A letter from mum? How do you know the documentation is real
Problem 2 - Once photos are sent they can't be unsent.
PROBLEM - You might be sweet in Aussie law. MAYBE. But I have no idea about Scotish law.
Problem - she is 17 you are 40. Sorry, gonna moralise here (a little). THis is just a bad idea.
Mate RUN
I was speaking more broadly in terms of the age verification q

GT69

1 July 2021
I was speaking more broadly in terms of the age verification q
I was speaking more broadly in terms of the age verification question. Under the law am I obliged to confirm that the person to whom I am talking to is the age they claim to be or at least the age of consent

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
1. Don't do this.
2. There are no circumstances where somebody 17 can do this lawfully.
3. There is no legal mechanism that can protect you.
4. Yes, you commit offences in Australia, even when the other person is overseas.
5. See item 1.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yes all responsibility falls on you... ALL. Even if the verification proves to be false... You have reasons to believe the kid might be even younger. If I were you I'd be worried that the person is actually older and is part of the police pedo unit. I'm not even going to ask how you can to be chatting to this person, but how do you know it isn't a police sting?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney

GT69

1 July 2021
Yes all responsibility falls on you... ALL. Even if the verification proves to be false... You have reasons to believe the kid might be even younger. If I were you I'd be worried that the person is actually older and is part of the police pedo unit. I'm not even going to ask how you can to be chatting to this person, but how do you know it isn't a police sting?
During our conversation I have asked her age multiple times. I asked her to provide ID before I would talk about sex again. She hasn't provided any ID so no sex talk has occurred and no photos have been exchanged since I asked for ID.