VIC Adverse possession and parking on a carriageway/ plus fence dispute.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Parallel

3 February 2017
I enter my property through my neighbour's carriageway/driveway and have crossed over their land on a small corner for the past 20 years. The previous neighbour only visited his holiday house intermittently and he insisted I share 50% responsibility to maintain the driveway. I have parked on this carriageway for 20 years. The new neighbour moves in and deliberately fences off the small corner to prevent my adverse possession and threatens me that if I or my guests park on it, he will have me towed away. The other neighbour is still allowed to park, but not me. I am now blocked from entering my land by car on this corner. My parking is now reduced significantly. And if i rebuild my garage, I will have no parking until I remove some stairs to make way for a ramp. I have officially objected to the Notice to Fence for this fence and a a further boundary fence. I have remained polite but factual at all times. The wife states I don't need to worry about paying half as I cannot afford much on a small salary but the husband demands I pay 50% and states the wife is not the owner. He sends his lawyer (with his dog) to attempt to intimidate me whilst they build the fence. I ask for the name and mobile number of the lawyer and he provides an obviously false number. The written intimidation continues. He has refused Mediation. I understand I am legally responsible for 50% of a fence. He will enter my land and build the 'ugly' side out whilst I am at work. I tried my best to be a kind a generous neighbour allowing them full access to my land whilst they renovated, despite my grass being damaged because I received a small benefit as well. Do I go to court to assert my parking and access rights on the carriageway ?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Give our property team a call to see what they can do to help you. They'll want to see the title and easement conditions.

See my signature.

Harry De Elle

11 February 2017
Continue to build documentary evidence pictures , videos and the like and contemporaneous notes....speak to your council and to the police. Make an application to your State tribunal to assist resolving the matter.....