WA Accident at Work - Am I Entitled to Workers Compensation?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Melrose

27 October 2015
Perfth
I had an accident at work. There wasn't really any negligence by the employer. I was with a difficult student and I overbalanced onto my hip and knee 8 months ago and am still in pain. The insurance company accepted the personal injury claim and now I have received a Common Law letter about a termination date.

I have decided I want to try to get workers compensation as I am no better than I was prior to the fall. I have followed all medical instructions which includes doing more exercise which I do, but not without being in pain and cannot sleep (perhaps 3 hours night). It affects my work and lifestyle.

The medication has made me dizzy, given me blurred vision and loss of balance. I am, therefore, on Tamaze and Codeine just to try to help me sleep but these are addictive. The legal company I spoke to says I cannot get compensation if it is not negligence by the employer!

It was an accident at work. Am I entitled to compensation?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Ask second lawyer what they think.

Lillady

29 April 2016
Not sure if this helps.

I gained carpal tunnel at work and was accepted by workcover. They are supposed to support you until full recovery no matter how long, as far as I know.

Also have you looked into what's covered in your super? Or is that the insurance you are talking about?