VIC 457 Visa - When Can I Apply for Permanent Residency?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dara Batista

24 February 2017
Hey guys,

I had my 457 visa granted on March 2015 but the company I used to work for closed down and I lost the sponsorship on May 2015. I've got a new sponsorship now from October last year and was wondering if it'd take another two years to apply for my Permanent Residency or if I could apply by October this year as I've heard about this new law that says once you have a new sponsorship you don't need to wait for another 2 years.

I'd love any help I could get!

Thank you!

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Dara,

I have read two different interpretations one says the 2 years should be with the same sponsored employer in the same role and the other says it can accumulate across multiple sponsored employers.

I'm inclined to think it is loose enough to cover situations like yours were the sponsored employer goes under and you loose your sponsorship through no fault of your own. Most companies use a management company to deal with their VISA employees such as Fragomen. Your best bet is probably to have them confirm it for you.