NT Work Uniform - Rights under Employment Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

melody

24 May 2015
Our employment is changing our work uniform. As I have body issues, overweight with large bust and tummy, having to wear tight straight leg trousers and a tucked in cotton shirt causes me distress that my body image will be on public display in the workplace. I fear that I will be looked at and ridiculed and I am feeling very distressed and vunerable.

Is there anything that can be done under employment law, as this is for a security company?

Tracy B

24 December 2014
Australia
Hi Melody,

Have you spoken with your supervisor/employer about this concern? Perhaps you could work something out with them.

AnnaLJ

16 July 2014
Hi Melody

I agree with Tracy - This may be something you need to take up direct with your employer.

I can't think of a way the law might directly apply here, though, depending on the circumstances and how your employer reacts to you expressing your concerns it may raise some issues under Bullying and Harassment.

Do you feel comfortable having this conversation with your employer and requesting they consider different uniform options to cater for different body shapes?