QLD WHERE DO THEY DERIVE THE POWER

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It will help us to help you
if you ask a coherent question.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Forgot that path. Freeman-on-the-land nonsense will not win legal issues in court.

State governments derive their power from the colonies that got their power from the British Crown/Parliament.

State Governments use ABNs for transacting business with companies in a civil law setting. ABNs do not automagically increase your rights as a citizen of Australia.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
Forgot that path. Freeman-on-the-land nonsense will not win legal issues in court.

State governments derive their power from the colonies that got their power from the British Crown/Parliament.

State Governments use ABNs for transacting business with companies in a civil law setting. ABNs do not automagically increase your rights as a citizen of Australia.

Thank you for your reply Rod.

I am not peddling Free-man-on-the-land nonsense as I am no looking to win in court. I am however attempting to expand my knowledge on the systems that most blindly follow as gospel and would like to know whether or not anybody I deal with is exceeding their power. I mean even in court one must know when to "object" otherwise the court will roll with whatever has been presented.

As for an "increase of rights as an citizen" is somewhat of an oxymoron as the "state" creates citizens.
It will help us to help you
if you ask a coherent question.

What legislation are State Government entities subject to?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
... and would like to know whether or not anybody I deal with is exceeding their power.

Then it needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis. You need to look at the laws and regulations around whatever issue you have. There is no 'one law' that details the rights, responsibilities and powers of all state government entities.

Reactions: cuttyshatface

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Have a look at particular Acts and they will often state in the beginning their applicability to the government. For example, the Competition and Consumer Act has provisions stating the Act's application to the Commonwealth, and to the States.

Reactions: cuttyshatface

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
What legislation are State Government entities subject to?
Pretty much all of it.
The powers of a state's parliament are prescribed in the Constitution of that state.
Those powers are usually plenary - that is, complete powers to make law about anything.

Further, each act includes a provision that that act binds (that is, applies to) The Crown.
As a matter of interpretation, this means all three arms of government,
as well as Elizabeth herself.

cuttyshatface

24 May 2017
Queensland
Pretty much all of it.
The powers of a state's parliament are prescribed in the Constitution of that state.
Those powers are usually plenary - that is, complete powers to make law about anything.

Further, each act includes a provision that that act binds (that is, applies to) The Crown.
As a matter of interpretation, this means all three arms of government,
as well as Elizabeth herself.

You mention a "law about anything" how come our mere presence in the court is not enough to "appear" and signatures are requested on every occasion. Could this possibly be due to requiring our consent for everything that unfolds.