VIC Remove information about my ABN

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DaleA76

25 September 2016
I am a sole trader and as such my details are listed on the official ABR website, which means that some one has to go to the official website and search for my name.

I have discovered a site that is not an official government site that displays my name, abn and other information on their site and as such it comes up in Google. I want to get them to remove it so I tried e-mailing them and they refused saying it's publicly available information, but surely I didn't consent to them using my name and other information and displaying it on their site etc.

How can I go about getting it removed?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
You can't. They're correct, it's publicly available information and necessarily needs to be so. Otherwise, people are unable to verify that you do in fact have an ABN.

What's your concern with your information being available? If it's address, that can be fixed by changing it to your accountant's office.

DaleA76

25 September 2016
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply. I am fine with it being on the official ABR website, but this other, private website (not government affiliated) has got it listed on their website and I never consented to it being on there. I just don't like details of my business being displayed on google when searching my name, because they come up on this non-government site.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Whether they link it or reproduce it, it's public record and therefore freely available. You could try emailing them and asking if they'll remove it, but I'm not aware of any legal compulsion on them to do so.