WA What's the Right Interpretation of Court Orders?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ellena

6 October 2014
The Court Order states exactly: "

(a) the parties provide evidence of their residential address by way of: (i) provision of utilities bill, tenancy agreement or landlord's receipt for accommodation costs; "
Does this mean that you can provide one of three items, or does it mean all three must be provided, or either a: Utility Bill OR one of the other two?

I interpret it to be an "OR" statement meaning a utility bill OR a tenancy agreement. I have provided the utility bill. The other party is hassling me to give them Tenancy Agreement.

Please advise. Many thanks.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
I would interpret that as an 'or' statement, otherwise it would use the term 'and', wouldn't it?

Sounds like the other party is being a touch petty. You can provide your tenancy agreement if you choose just to avoid the conflict, or not and just leave it to them to hold you in contravention if they think it's that important, but they would likely face a swift rap across the knuckles for wasting court time.

Reactions: Rod

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Ellena,

What was the formatting of the order? Was it all in one paragraph or was it separated with a ";" at the end? Such as:
(a) utilities bill;
(b) tenancy agreement; or
(c) landlord's receipt.

Even if it is in one paragraph, I would say that the order would be satisfied by either a utilities bill OR tenancy agreement OR landlord's receipt. One if sufficient. If it required two or more of the items, there would be an AND in the paragraph. Write to the other side informing them that you have answered the information request.