WA What Age Do Court Parenting Orders No Longer Apply?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tanz

2 October 2014
My children are turning 16 soon and no longer wish to visit their father in New Zealand (custody of children). Can I stop making them go after they turn 16? It is a New Zealand family law court order.

rebeccag

8 April 2014
G'day @Tanz
Have a look at the Ministry of Justice NZ "How long does an Order last?" page. I assume its a Final Order (rather than an Interim Order which usually lasts until a set date, a particular event happens or the court says the Order stops)?

A Final Order:
"lasts until a child turns 16, unless it's a special case and the court has decided that the Order should continue after that".

So once they turn 16, the Final Order stops.
Hope that helps.

Tanz

2 October 2014
G'day @Tanz
Have a look at the Ministry of Justice NZ "How long does an Order last?" page. I assume its a Final Order (rather than an Interim Order which usually lasts until a set date, a particular event happens or the court says the Order stops)?

A Final Order:
"lasts until a child turns 16, unless it's a special case and the court has decided that the Order should continue after that".

So once they turn 16, the Final Order stops.
Hope that helps.

Thank you yes it does I wasn't sure if I would have to go back to court to discontinue it or if they could just stop going