Voluntary Administration - How to Respond to Claim Served By Creditor?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
18 August 2014
Hi. I am one of 2 company directors which have a claimed served against us from one of our creditors. We have undergone voluntary administration (insolvency option) through BDO two weeks ago. The amount is for $9115.00 + indemnity costs + interest. The date served was 12/08/2014.

I am 60 years of age, have no assets (no home as I'm renting at the moment) and no income as I have no job. What are the implications or the worst case scenario?

We have 28 days from the date served to dispute the claim in the form of a notice (Form 6).
How should I respond? Also, will I need to find out the outcome of the meeting with creditors to find out the extent of payments made to them (if any)?

Thank you in advance.

S

Sophea

Hi Emanuel,

Are the claims served directly against you personally as directors or against the company? I.e. do the creditors have grounds to pierce the corporate veil to sue you personally?

18 August 2014
Yes they are seved directly to myself and the other Director. There were a small handfull of companies that required directors guarantees in order to open a trading account with them at the time).

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Emanuel,
I understand that you gave a director's guarantee over trading accounts for your company that has recently entered into voluntary administration.
  1. Which state/territory are you located in?
  2. Did you receive the demand for payment before or after the company was placed in voluntary administration?
  3. Were the alleged debts incurred by your company during your time as director?

18 August 2014
Hi John
The company is in Queensland. We received the claim immediately after the administrators took over and yes we were directors at the time the debts were incurred.