VIC Use of Information on My Website without Infringing Copyright?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
6 March 2015
Hello,

I am creating an ecommerce Aroma & Therapy website to essential oil products and want to know how I can legally copy formulas/recipes of essential oil blends that I have seen in books and on the internet. I know that I must reference where I obtained my information from i.e. The Fragrant Garden, Valerie Worwood, Mcmillan London Ltd, 1990., but inside the cover of books it has a copyright symbol.

An example:

Chapped Lips
Chamomile 2 drops, Geranium 2 drops.
Mix well together with1 dessertspoon of Aloe Vera Gel

There are not many ways I can alter this recipe to make it look like I am not copying.

I am not selling the recipe just the ingredients it is made from.

For my own personal research when studying I know I can copy information and reference its source but not sure when I want to use it for a commercial venture where I am indirectly profiting from the recipe and I don't want any issues with them taking me to court for copying their work.

Can you please advise as to how I can legally do this without having to get the authors permission as some of the original publishers and authors no longer exist.

Very appreciate for assisting me with this query. I look forward to your reply.

S

Sophea

Hi Janet,

Copyright protects the 'original expression of ideas', not the ideas themselves. Therefore you can still use the recipes (properly referenced) as they are the ideas - no one can claim on the Camomile and Geranium combo - its the expression that is protected. By wording it differently say by saying - equal parts of Camomile and Geranium or (2 drops each). You are basically avoiding the copyright issue. Having said that - referencing the source of your information is ethically appropriate.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with the above.
You may find this helpful (it might open in a browser window,
or it might download, depending on your settings.
It's OK, it's just pdf document).