NSW Copying Information from Other Websites - Copyright Infringement?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

sbosshard89

4 August 2017
Hi all,

Thanks in advance for any help!

My question relates to copying information from websites from one website and placing it another website. For example (the names of businesses have been changed):

If I am creating a website like Gumtree (where you can list items for sale, etc), and I have the permission of the seller, am I able to copy the information directly from Gumtree or does it infringe on copyright? Who does the IP belong to, the original poster of the information or Gumtree?

Is the answer to the above question going to be the same for all websites where an individual can list items for sale (eg. Carsales, Bikesales, Allhomes)? Is it legal to take information from these as well in the same manner provided you have the permission of the seller/agent?

Thanks!

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
It depends on (a) what you're copying and (b) the sites terms and conditions. If you're only copying the information that the seller gave to the site, there can't be much argument that the site has copyright in it. If you're copying the site's information, style, layout etc then they generally can claim copyright in it.

sbosshard89

4 August 2017
Thank you Rob,

Much appreciated. After having done extensive reading and speaking to a number of law academics, this was the conclusion that I came to, but I was still somewhat unsure.