Australia's #1 for Law

Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Use of Information on My Website without Infringing Copyright?

Discussion in 'Intellectual Property Law Forum' started by Janet Shearsmith, 6 March 2015.

Tags:
  1. Janet Shearsmith

Hello,

I am creating an ecommerce Aroma & Therapy website to essential oil products and want to know how I can legally copy formulas/recipes of essential oil blends that I have seen in books and on the internet. I know that I must reference where I obtained my information from i.e. The Fragrant Garden, Valerie Worwood, Mcmillan London Ltd, 1990., but inside the cover of books it has a copyearight symbol.

An example:

Chapped Lips
    Chamomile 2 drops, Geranium 2 drops.
    Mix well together with1 dessertspoon of Aloe Vera Gel

There are not many ways I can alter this recipe to make it look like I am not copying.

I am not selling the recipe just the ingredients it is made from.

For my own personal research when studying I know I can copy information and reference its source but not sure when I want to use it for a commercial venture where I am indirectly profiting from the recipe and I don't want any issues with them taking me to court for copying their work.

Can you please advise as to how I can legally do this without having to get the authors permission as some of the original publishers and authors no longer exist.

Very appreciate for assisting me with this query. I look forward to your reply.

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Hi Janet,

Copyearight protects the 'original expression of ideas', not the ideas themselves. Therefore you can still use the recipes (properly referenced) as they are the ideas - no one can claim on the Camomile and Geranium combo - its the expression that is protected. By wording it differently say by saying - equal parts of Camomile and Geranium or (2 drops each). You are basically avoiding the copyearight issue. Having said that - referencing the source of your information is ethically appropriate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

I agree with the above.
    You may find this helpful (it might open in a browser window,
    or it might download, depending on your settings.
    It's OK, it's just pdf document).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...