QLD Can Tow Company Pin Towing Fees on Me?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mune

12 February 2017
Hi,

I just received an out of nowhere tow final notice of $1300 after they auctioned away a vehicle the police impounded 4 months ago. I'm not the owner of the vehicle but I was in the driver's seat and the owner was in passenger and swapped seats cause owner was hooning.

I couldn't care less when it got impounded. I got a fine for hooning and 2 points deducted.

Can the tow company pin the fees on me? Instead of the owner?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Looks like you have learnt a valuable lesson. Don't help people breaking the law.

The costs go to the driver under Qld laws. You admitted to the offence, you pay the costs.

Suppose you'll find out how good the mate really is.

Reactions: Mune

Mune

12 February 2017
True, I'm still paying the cost of the fine. I didn't expect the tow fee and storage but I will give the tow company a call tomorrow to see if they can charge the owner for the storage and tow fees as the owner should have taken his car out of there.

kimsland

6 February 2017
the owner for the storage and tow fees as the owner should have taken his car out of there.
Maximum vehicle impound in Qld is 3 months (not 4) by Order of a judge. But how it normally is:

First Offense > No Impound
Second Offense > 7 Days ONLY
Third Offense > 90 Days Impound

You stated 4 months. You are only responsible (as you were convicted) of the impound fee that was stated to you, not months and months after that ;) The Driver (or normal driver) should have picked up the car at the end of the mandatory impound duration.

$1300? What do they think this is? Majorly hefty Parking Space costs!!! Next time tell them to park it at the expensive airport for a quarter of the cost!

Mune

12 February 2017
Thanks for the info. It was my first offence and got 90 days impound. If I knew I was going to get slapped with a tow fee and so forth, I wouldn't have taken the wrap for it. What's done is done - learnt from the mistake and I have to deal with it and not take wrap for idiots.

The fee was 3000+ for holding or whatever then they auctioned the car away for 2200 and left 1300 for the driver to pay cause, typical, the owner didn't want anything to do with it.

Thanks again