VIC Unable to Get Part-Time Due to Injury - Employment Law Options?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
21 November 2016
Hi,

I’m an International Student living in Melbourne. I came here 2014 for my higher education. (Sub-class Visa 500). After successfully completing my 1st year in Masters, I went to Sri Lanka for a vacation and I faced to an accident. Due to the accident, I permanently lost my right eye vision.

Now I came back here to complete studies after skipping two semesters. I already faced 6 major surgeries during the last 8 months including 2 surgeries in a Melbourne eye hospital. Now I’ve started my studies and am still visiting my doctor once a month.

I’ve been looking for a part time job for the last 2 months but no one offers me a job when they find out about my injury. In my visa, I’m allowed to work 20 hrs. per week. I need to find some work to at least cover my medicine bills and living expenses. I tried with so many agencies and all of them offer jobs to only Australian citizens.

I’m in a terrible situation. I can’t even do cleaning and heavy lifting jobs due to my injury because of high eye pressure. What are the options I have left under employment law? I really need to complete my studies. I can’t give up.

Thank you.

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,

First of all I'm sorry you are in such a difficult situation. I'm not sure there is anything you can do with regard to employment law, unless you can prove discrimination for a specific employment application. In most cases employers could probably argue they had someone more suitable for the role.

I think you should be looking at your accident, how it happened, if anyone is liable for your injury and check if you have access to compensation in Sri Lanka. I hope it works out for you. Hopefully someone else reading your post on here might have some helpful information for you.

Reactions: Ravi Ekanayake