VIC Tradie suing for defamation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

NeedLegalHelp

26 September 2021
Hello, looking for some help.
I have a tradie that worked on my private property.
Long story short I am taking him to VCAT due to defective work. I am also leaving a google review with a third party defects report.
He said he will be suing me for causing him distress, defamation and harassment for sending him formal letters about this.
There is a lot more to the story, but that is the general gist.
How do I shut him down.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Give him everything he wants.

You can only control your actions, not his.

If he wants to take action, other than giving him everything he wants, there is nothing you can do that will stop him commencing proceedings. Then it comes down to who who has the better case.

NeedLegalHelp

26 September 2021
Would you say a person has a 'strong case' for legal defamation if you are posting a third party report on his defective work to google as a review. (All other factors ignored)
If so then wouldnt everyone who reviews on google be subject to suing

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Everyone who posts a negative google review is subject to being sued.

Some people will have sound defences (truth being one), others will have no defence. Either way people may need to spend money defending themselves.

Most businesses do not bother taking action, others zealously protect their reputation.

In your case his threats may be to intimidate you into withdrawing your review, and possibly the VCAT claim. If he has sent something in writing to you, I can assist assess the validity of his threats.