WA Do I have a valid case to sue for defamation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CPN

25 February 2018
Hi all,

I'll try to make a long story short, I have been dealing with an undesirable neighbor, I am waiting an upcoming court appearance in March seeking to have an Misconduct Restraining Order taken against him due to stalking, harassment, threats of violence and childish acts. Unfortunately he wasn't served summons for the first court appearance in January, the second court appearance in Feb also was a waste of time as he had been served a summons but the Magistrate did not have evidence that it was served.
My issue is after he received summons he emailed my company via the website, alleging that I abuse my son and that I also threaten and harass him and his family because he is gay. Both are completely untrue and are in my opinion the actions of a desperate bully who has been caught out. He then sent another email about 20 minutes later stating that he doesn't like the companies employees threatening him and went on to call me an ego manic idiot. He has failed to realize that I am the Managing Director of the company which is co owned by 2 other Directors (company of 3). The other owners know I have had ongoing issues with the neighbor.

Based on this do I have grounds to sue for defamation, if so should I pursue and what would people expect the outcome to be?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes
Up to you.
You need a lawyer to look at all the facts before an estimate can be made. Do not expect it to be much unless you have a high public profile.

Reactions: CPN

Karen mcguane

14 February 2018
Hi all,

I'll try to make a long story short, I have been dealing with an undesirable neighbor, I am waiting an upcoming court appearance in March seeking to have an Misconduct Restraining Order taken against him due to stalking, harassment, threats of violence and childish acts. Unfortunately he wasn't served summons for the first court appearance in January, the second court appearance in Feb also was a waste of time as he had been served a summons but the Magistrate did not have evidence that it was served.
My issue is after he received summons he emailed my company via the website, alleging that I abuse my son and that I also threaten and harass him and his family because he is gay. Both are completely untrue and are in my opinion the actions of a desperate bully who has been caught out. He then sent another email about 20 minutes later stating that he doesn't like the companies employees threatening him and went on to call me an ego manic idiot. He has failed to realize that I am the Managing Director of the company which is co owned by 2 other Directors (company of 3). The other owners know I have had ongoing issues with the neighbor.

Based on this do I have grounds to sue for defamation, if so should I pursue and what would people expect the outcome to be?
OK