VIC Terminating exclusive authority

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

RP89

24 July 2021
My husband and I had a real estate agent over for a market appraisal. Next thing you know he had an iPad out and we were signing an exclusive authority. I don’t recall him giving us a chance to read it. I had my baby in my arms at the time and was told the sign. Previous to this I had made it clear that I was meeting with another agent. He said just cancel them but I assumed he was mucking around. We also assumed there was a 3 day cooling off period. The next day my husband called to tell him that we didn’t want to go through with it and he said that’s fine. My husband also sent him a text to confirm this (the text has since gone missing). We Have gone with a different real estate agent. They put it online and they have been contacted by the other agent that they had authority. Do we have to wait the exclusive authority period before selling so we don’t have to pay commission to 2 agents? Is there away to cancel the contract. I feel like we have been misled

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
In Vic there is generally no cooling off period for the sale authority.

You likely either wait it out, or pay two lots of commissions.

You are responsible for what you sign. If in doubt, never ever sign a document until you get legal advice.