VIC Terminating building contract by registered post

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
No, it's 14 "business" days.
Saturdays, Sundays, and Public Holidays don't count.

457Visafraud

16 April 2017
But isnt it expressly stated "all within fourteen (14) days after the date on which the Notice is served?
You got more serious problems to deal with so I wouldn't waste time with these 14 days and the real meaning.
You sent the letter of demand, done, if they don't replay you have to send another letter of demand this time only give 6 SIX days.
So if you post the letter on Monday, they have time until next Monday (5 weekly days, exclude weekend so the following Monday is the sixth day) to replay, else you need to start legal procedures.
I couldn't see in what state you're located but in Victoria your first step would be to check the information on: Problems and complaints

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I don't know where this six days is coming from, but to go back to the 14 days:

- You need to ensure you give the right period for rectification before taking the next step. You could be penalised for further action you take if you don't give them the required time allowance to rectify. This can range from the furthe action being invalidated down to losing interest/costs.

- As Tim stated, the 14 days appear to be 14 business days. As you've stated: "Unless expressly stated otherwise, where any notice is to be given or any other act matter or thing is to be done under any provision of this contract in a stated period of days, the following days shall not be counted: Saturday, Sundays or Public Holidays." So, start counting the 14 days from the date you sent the notice (not counting the day that you sent it) and ignore any day which is a Saturday, Sunday or Public Holiday. You'll find the date will be just under three weeks out from when you sent the notice (unless Melbourne Cup Day is one of the days - then it will be three weeks).