NSW Tenants In Common - Bill Dispute?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Donzo

2 February 2015
We are in a situation where we share a property with an ex friend. She pays all the bills and refuses to provide us with the details of our share despite numerous polite requests to do so. How can we force her to give us this information as we do not want a massive bill presented to us when she deems to do so? This has been ongoing for 3 or so years now. Help!

Ivy

10 February 2015
Dear Donzo,

Firstly, are you a co-tenant with your friend? Or is she the landlord? Are you all signed onto a lease with a real estate agency?

If she is paying bills on your behalf, then I can't see how she would be able to force you to back pay her for three years worth of bills. In this situation, it is a greater risk to her to foot the cost of the bills than it is to you not knowing what she is paying.

Generally bill splitting is an informal agreement, not a contractual obligation unless there is some extra information that you haven't told us.

Reactions: Sophea
S

Sophea

I agree with Ivy,

She simply risks not getting paid anything toward the bills if she is not requesting payment as and when they fall due. I would just say "I'm not paying anything toward a bill unless I see the notice before you pay it". Situations could even potentially arise where there is an error or overcharge on the bill that you are not aware of but have to pay anyway.