NSW Strata Woes

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

DeidreD

14 August 2020
Any advice would be super helpful. I am looking at selling my strata unit in NSW (most likely at a loss) because of entrenched issues that have been mismanaged in the complex.

There may be proof that our strata manager is deliberately trying to conceal entrenched issues, and influencing inaction by the executive committee (EC) on matters affecting a smaller group of owners. I am on the EC. As an example - I was told on one occasion, after requesting that the EC decide on whether to send official notices to those parking obstructively on the common property, that "it does not look good on the owners records to send so many notices".

I bought this unit under the premise that it was a well managed complex, after a full inspection of the records. Long story short - its not, and I am tired of putting up with the consequences of these entrenched issues (resentment amongst owners, smoke drift, obstructive parking, illegal garbage dumping).

I would think there has to be some accountability on part of the SM.

Do I have any recourse here, if I can show proof that our SM has deliberately tried to mislead the EC into inaction on these matters? What would constitute proof? Not sure if these are the right questions, but the outcome of selling at a loss because of this just feels so intuitively wrong.

Note: A few of us are trying to change strata managers, but many of the owners voting are themselves breaching by-laws, and have been happy to do so for quite some time under the management of this SM - hence, we may be unsuccessful.

Thankyou so much!