WA Stood down for spreading rumour

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

CF1969

3 May 2018
Hello,

I was contacted by my manager today and told I would be stood down pending an investigation into multiple accusations of me spreading information I overheard - email cut off, access closed off etc.

Apparently the information related to a women I have never met. They would not tell me anymore (it’s of a commercial nature I believe not gender related).

The accusation isn’t true. I do recall hearing someone talking about an incident in the lunch room, but I did not discuss or communicate the information in anyway. I’m joining the dots here because I really don’t know what it is.

I believe one of the people involved previously raised a complaint against me for mistreating her verbally at work. The complaint was dismissed, but the relationship has never been the same.

Her complaint was generated after I queried an accounting issue, suspicious transaction - she took offense to my query.

I want to know what I should do. I am surprised I could be stood down just by a phone call or provided no rights. The previous complaint did not afford me any rights to respond or be involved in the process.

Appreciate any advice.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Are you being paid while stood down?

Have they told you for how long?

You do have rights and it will be important to document every factual thing around what has happened regarding you being stood. Take notes and diarise everything. Date/time, type of correspondence/mtg. Phone/email/text. Who with, where, what was said/written.

At the moment you don't know what is important so note down everything. If they call you in, or want to talk over the phone say you need a support person present (as a witness) and if necessary arrange a call back with your support person present and call on loudspeaker.

If you value your job sounds like you need to be careful.