NSW Speeding Fines from Driving Through School Zone?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

AmandaR

30 May 2018
I was house sitting recently, and drove to work each day in a location that I didn't realise was through a school zone. Now after receiving three letters in the mail within days of each other, I have not only realised it was a school zone, but also that the Red Light Speed Camera, turns into a variable speed camera for the school zone.

I received 3 x speeding fines in the mail for almost 3 consecutive days - totaling 10 points. All my speeds were under the normal legal limit of 60, just over the unknown school zone limit.

Do I have any options to seek leeway for this - I am devastated, I would never have knowingly sped through a school zone?

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I was house sitting recently, and drove to work each day in a location that I didn't realise was through a school zone. Now after receiving three letters in the mail within days of each other, I have not only realised it was a school zone, but also that the Red Light Speed Camera, turns into a variable speed camera for the school zone.

I received 3 x speeding fines in the mail for almost 3 consecutive days - totaling 10 points. All my speeds were under the normal legal limit of 60, just over the unknown school zone limit.

Do I have any options to seek leeway for this - I am devastated, I would never have knowingly sped through a school zone?

Sorry to give you the bad news, but no options at all, I had the same thing (but only 2 infringements within a week apart and less than 60k/h), I put for review and I had to pay them. Unless you have compelling reasons that you need the licence, such as taking care of a sick parent and need to drive around etc...., there is no option, if you do, you can go to court and ask for help, that is the best you can do,

Clancy

6 April 2016
I believe you have a good chance of having this reduced owing to the fact of not having any warning during the time it takes for the fine to appear in the mail and you become aware of the offense.

You will not get off entirely, what they will do is consider it a single offense.

You wont get off by writing in - that system is like Great benefit insurance - deny all claims!

You will need to go to court.

I can confirm this was done for one of my cousins a couple of years ago.... (but it could also just be down to him having a reasonable judge on the day)

Clancy

6 April 2016
I can tell you another thing about school zones. My elderly mother lost her license because of it.

She had lived in that same house for the last 30 years, drove on that same street for the last 30 years, never even came close to endangering anyone. One day school zone pops up out of nowhere then poor old mum so used to driving that same street for so many years getting a fine here and there until license gone. Keep in mind, nothing else has changed, the school has not grown bigger, the road has not been changed, has not become more busy, nothing has changed, only the school speed zone appearing is the only change.

Let me ask you, is it fair?

Personally i find it interesting that you can be a safe driver, doing no harm or risk to anyone, and still lose your license in this country.

But i do acknowledge allot of the more busy school zones are getting flashing lights these days - this should have been done from the start and all fines issued were there were no flashing lights should be reversed.