QLD Solicitor discussing you and your case with a random person?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Dragonfly22

3 July 2018
Is it legal for a solicitor to discuss details of your case and personal opinions about you with someone unrelated to the case? Situation: It just came to my attention that my ex's solicitor is now representing my old neighbours daughters ex partner in their custody case. One night he randomly turned up at her house in person to deliver papers for her daughter as she has an undisclosed address. When she recognized the name she made reference to him knowing my ex. When questioned how she knew him she replied she didn't but knew me as I had lived next door to her. The solicitor then proceeded to tell her details about my case....the money it had cost me, actual things about the case, that I had lied and am a lier etc etc. Is this actually legal for a solicitor to do? This is not the first time he has done it.

Clancy

6 April 2016
There is such thing as client confidentiality, but how strongly it applies to closed cases and past clients who are no longer clients i do not know?

There is the possibility of slander? But not if the 'lies' were determined to be lies in a court of law or are otherwise provable.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
There's a few issues in there. As for privilege, it only applies to clients. If you weren't a client, you're not protected. If the only things divulged were directly from case and evidence which was accepted by the court - that's largely public information. There's the possibility of defamation if you were called a liar, but that's largely not worth pursuing.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Mention it to the ex and see if she is happy to have her details spread around the area. She was the the client and can take action, not you as @Rob has mentioned.