Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

Sold House - Can a Charge Still be Made Over House?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by libby, 8 August 2014.

1. libby

libby Member

Hi, If I have sold my house and exchange is done, deposit taken, no cooling off period as auctioned can a firm threatening to put a charge over the property do so. The house is no longer legally mine, and can they get any of the proceeds after / before settlement under Property Law?

Really stuck here and my solicitor keeps asking a barrister and its costing me a fortune so i thought I may ask to save some costs.

Much appreciated

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

1. We can't answer in respect of your specific case.
      That said, you are entitled, as the client, to have a proper explanation
      of what your solicitor is doing on your behalf. So feel free to ask.
      And to insist on an answer in language you can understand.

2. Don't confuse a caveat and a charge.
      A search of other posts about caveats may be helpful.

3. Why would this be happening? Is there a debt somewhere?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hi libby,

If the threatened charge is for a loan, what does it say in the loan agreement about recovery of debt and securities?

Does the company have an interest in that particular property/asset (as in a mortgage) or do you owe the company a debt unrelated the property?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Tim W likes this.
  4. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

A charge over property/land (or an interest in property/land) can only be created in writing and signed by both chargor (debtor) and chargee (creditor). The company cannot create a charge unilaterally over property/land or the proceeds of property/land without already having the authority to do so in some prior loan agreement (ie. already having a fixed or floating charge over the property/land). This is why you should read your loan agreement carefully.

A charge is not like a mortgage, and in order to realise this charge, the company will need to apply to court. Only in this way, will the company have a realisable interest in your property/land or proceeds thereof.

Hope this helps.

5. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

If they are "threatening to", then am I correct
    in thinking that they don't already have one?

If what you say is correct, then it sounds like a threat being made
    by somebody who has no idea what they are actually saying
    (for example, it sounds a bit like the kind of rubbish that
    a debt collecting agency would say to intimidate an unsophisticated debtor).